The next step is to see if your current career matches your list and if it doesn’t, locate careers that do! Look out for overlaps in your Skills, Values, and Interests list. Are there any job titles that fit these overlaps? Pass copies of your list to friends and family and ask for their opinion on jobs from different areas where your skills are valuable. Find out what skills are required for specific careers. A professional Career Consultant can provide support like:
1. Helping to evaluate and prioritize your skills, values, and interests.
2. Matching your Skills, Values and Interests with job titles.
3. Helping you to focus on potential careers.
4. Finding job openings in your fields of interest.
5. Grooming you for interviews.
6. Helping you polish documents like cover letters, resumes, and applications.
Career counseling can be instrumental in this early stage of your job search. A counselor would evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, recognize overlaps in your SVI list, and suggest potential career areas. Counselors will also help you identify your goals and look out for potential offers that satisfy your needs.